View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 02:10 AM   #15
SCOTI

Re: A 2-link question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
It still won't rotate unless they "come together" in front of the bumper. Just like factory TA's where they would mythically meet about a foot in front of the truck. By virtue of being parallel they will effectively lock the axle in postion.

Dangerous for driving. No, but when pushed the truck now feels slow to react.

I helped a kid build a 2 link to get it on the road quick, and cheap. While we were testing it I had it at 90mph cruising, and it felt fine. Where I lived we 1 twisty road a block away. 25-30 mph which was the speed limit no issue. Get her to 45mph , and it felt decidedly awkward. We eventually swapped to a Impala SS triangualted rear end. I am not sure why he wanted that, but it was on a magnitude of 1000% better for corners.

Would I do a 2 link. Probably not unless I had threaded bushings laying around for some reason, and only had 4. But I would not discount them for a guy who just wants to profile.
Define "rotate"? I'm not talking about full articulation. I'm thinking more about eliminating immediate bind ( which as you alluded to can be very unpredictable).

With a spherical joint @ the front, the fixed rear end will get some ability to rotate w/o immediate bind. Any sort of fixed rubber poly bushing would be in immediate bind. I'm not saying I'd do a 2-link/Billy-Bar set-up but if I had to offer ideas to improve one, some ability to rotate would be my first suggestion.

I've ridden in more than one truck set up w/the solid 2-links. I was surprised the ride was decent but from my perspective any uneven surface seriously stressed mounts & hardware from the bind. One guy kept losing the shocks (they were mounted like the image above). I walked him through the motion of things when the suspension changes heights differently @ each side. He had the shock mounts re-clocked & that eliminated the issue. I guess that could be luck or could be from a deffective initial install, IDK.
I also recommended going to a 4-bar.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote