View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #16
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: A 2-link question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Define "rotate"? I'm not talking about full articulation. I'm thinking more about eliminating immediate bind ( which as you alluded to can be very unpredictable).

With a spherical joint @ the front, the fixed rear end will get some ability to rotate w/o immediate bind. Any sort of fixed rubber poly bushing would be in immediate bind. I'm not saying I'd do a 2-link/Billy-Bar set-up but if I had to offer ideas to improve one, some ability to rotate would be my first suggestion.

I've ridden in more than one truck set up w/the solid 2-links. I was surprised the ride was decent but from my perspective any uneven surface seriously stressed mounts & hardware from the bind. One guy kept losing the shocks (they were mounted like the image above). I walked him through the motion of things when the suspension changes heights differently @ each side. He had the shock mounts re-clocked & that eliminated the issue. I guess that could be luck or could be from a deffective initial install, IDK.
I also recommended going to a 4-bar.....
I am not the best at suspension mods as I have always followed preordained formulas, and I could feel what they were supposed to do.

In your last paragraph you pretty much say what is wrong with 2 links. They ride fine, haul weight fine, but the have effectively no side to side articulation. Since the whole rear axle assembly now is effectively like a large sway bar. I described the issue when I pushed the truck quicker down a small twisty road. As i don't remember it being awkward rolling in to a driveway. The C10 had almost 4" of ground clearance.

A sperical joint still wont rotate due to its locked in postion due to the axle. A large rubber bushing will have some give, but like you said it may not last. That is why when I did it we used nearly 4 foot bars. I have read short 2 links have issues at much lower thresholds then long bars. The kid had it on his truck for almost a year, and nothing seemed beat to s***. He had a Vortec 4.3 V6, and drove nearly 20000 miles in the year.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote