View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 11:04 AM   #18
MikeB

Re: A header question with a twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBrit View Post
Hey Mike. I have the Doug's 371Y on my '70 C10, also an original 307 truck.
Those are beauties! How long ago did you buy them? And how's the coating holding up?

I ask because after I started this thread I read a D371Y review somewhere by a very unhappy buyer (can't remember where) who said the welding quality and finish were terrible. Back around 2016, a Pertronix guy told me Doug's and Patriot headers were made in the same Mexico factory just south of San Diego. I don't know when they moved manufacturing from California, but maybe the quality suffered.

Whatever I decide on, I'll buy from Summit because their Arlington, TX store is less than an hour from my house, which makes returns easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBrit View Post
Years back (before I started down the rabbit hole of a frame off restoration I was running full length Hedmans. They fit perfect, with no clearance issues, but the collectors pointed at different angles causing ground clearance problems, especially on the passenger side.
Yeah, the Hedman long-tube "Elite" headers I mentioned in the first post above had the same problem back around 2001! You can see in the picture that the passenger side collector still points upwards too much. Don't know what the heck they are thinking! I mean, we here have a company that's been in business forever and they can't get headers for popular trucks right???
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 08-23-2022 at 10:11 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote