View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #2
Bradydz

Re: GMC '64 build brought back from the dead? Big booboo

After getting it all home; I did a lot of research on that power/disc brake and power steering swap, reading, reading reading. Started searching Craigslist for a donor! FOUND ONE! '75 Chevy shortbed frame!

Tore into it that weekend. Got all brake lines and fuel line out to give me a rough guide, as my frame will have some differences. But since I'm going to run my own, a templete wouldn't hurt!
Got the crossmember off and swapped over in a night, was pretty proud of myself since I've never tackled anything close to this before and I was working alone with no cherry picker :P Just a little jack and a couple stands

it's off!

Anyone need an old one of these?

rollin' in, almost there!

It's on!

Ordered some parts! Ball joints, bushings, cab mounts comin', shocks, power steering box adapter bracket!

Ended up swapping the axles out of the 12 bolt on the '75 frame into the 12 bolt on the 60's frame. Was very happy to see they were the same spline and they fit! They're 3/4" longer but I don't mind the wheels sticking out a little more, will look more stanced! Swapped all the brakes off '75 rear as well, though there didn't seem much difference other than where the brake line lands on the cylinder, and the shoes looked like they had more surface area.. and of course the drums are plenty beefier!

Spent some time last night getting most of the undercoating off the frame, going to put some POR 15 on once I get that ordered... some spendy stuff! Also got my gearbox mounted last night, just need to drill the holes for the idler arm. How vital is it on EXACT location? I know you want the drag link parallel.. anything else to watch?
Bradydz is offline   Reply With Quote