View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 04:37 PM   #6
Rufas

Re: Radiator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
What does it creep up to? Does it overheat or just gets to say 210 ? All engines will creep up after running at speed and then stopping and idling . If it gets to hot at idle and cools at speed 40 mph or so it’s an airflow problem not a radiator problem . Location of the fan blade can effect the performance to far in or out of the shroud will greatly effect it . The fan blades should be about half way into the shroud . I would start with making sure the shroud is sealed all around the radiator air like water will follow the path of least resistance

Edit: also the head temp may be getting up there but the actual water temp may be much lower . I’ve seen my gauge go to 215+ in the head but the fans don’t kick in because the water temp hasn’t reach 195 the sensor for my fans are in the radiator next to the inlet hose
The fan shroud is tight fitting around the radiator. The fan is slightly to far into the shroud opening. But because of the supercharger pulley and belt I can't move the fan out any. The fan is less than 1/4 inch from pulley and belt.

You make a good point about sensor location. The high temp I'm worried about is the head temp. So far 215° has been the highest temp, but the outside temp was only 77°. The radiator inlet temp was just under 200°. What concerns me is the summer time temps here typically approach 120°. Most days temp hover around 115°. So I can imagine this condition will get worse.
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote