View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
SavageC20

How hot do Big Blocks normally run?

I have a 454 in my 72' and it gets warm in the summer (200-230) when the truck is sitting at stop lights or driving slowly (0-40mph). I am wondering if this is too hot for the engine? It has never boiled over in this situation. I have heard that big blocks run hot, but not sure what "hot" is. In the winter the temps stay around 180-190. How hot should a big block run with an ambient air temperature of 90-110 degrees? Any ideas on how to make it run cooler? I am wanting to take this truck in the mountains in the summer, but I don't think it would be able to pull a grade without getting north of 230 degrees.

The truck has a new 4 row stock style radiator from LMC, new stock water pump, new thermostat, stock fan and fan shroud, new fan clutch, 16lb radiator cap, 50/50 coolant mix, and the cooling system is clean. Temperature probe is located in the intake manifold near the thermostat housing, it goes to a VDO mechanical gauge. Carb is tuned properly and timing is set at 34 degrees total...vacuum advance not hooked up.

The truck still has the factory A/C condenser in front of the radiator as well as a transmission cooler in between them. This may be affecting airflow, but minus the transmission cooler this is basically how it was from the factory.

Last edited by SavageC20; 03-04-2019 at 11:51 PM.
SavageC20 is offline   Reply With Quote