View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Re: Well, I got more questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Personally, I would go ahead and install the new exhaust now.

Once the truck is assembled, put it on a lift(ideally outdoors!) and powerwash the bottom side thoroughly. Use the most vicious turbo nozzle you can, and you'll dislodge a lot of the rust. Try to avoid hitting the wiring and any seals(oil-pan, etc) with the powerwasher at close range.

Once that's done, and the truck has dried out, spray it down with fluid film. Repeat the fluid film treatment every November. The fluid film is a wax/oil mixture that forms a gummy oily layer over everything. It's not permanent, and can be washed off if you need to service something. Fluid film does fine over light surface rust. It doesn't trap moisture in that rust like some other products do.

Do not use a rubberized undercoat! Those trap moisture and salt against the metal, and can frequently make the rusting issue worse. Rubber undercoating can theoretically work on perfectly clean metal, but the chances of getting your frame and components that clean are nil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
X2. I prefer Boeshield T9, but same theory as fluid film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I agree. Pressure wash in lieu of sandblasting. You can get a mild acid wash from Napa, meant for cleaning big rigs and that will take off most surface rust, but you will want to spend some quality time again with the pressure washer to make sure to get all of the acid washed away. After that, your truck is nice enough that spending a couple of afternoons under there with some Rust-Oleum paint would be worthwhile. The only places I would put rubberized undercoating are in the wheel wells and the sheet metal bottom of the cab. But you need to have them clean and dry and have the rust treated first. There are a few different rust neutralizers that act as a primer when cured. Rust Mort is one of them.
Great feed back guys , I have a power washer that I do my cedar fences with it is buried in my shed and not sure what the lbs per what ever it is ,, It should work ,shouldnt it? I can jack it up on blocks I have that are around 10 inches tall , put under the tires, and beings my truck is a 4/4 gives me a bit more height ..the truck is aprox. 18" off ground which both blocks and truck give me around 28 inches ,, I would have to lay down to spray it ,, rain clothes ,mask and hoody I guess .