View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #915
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Our Trucks Doing What They Did - Vintage Photo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Damn, that first one is creepy! The people in that one did NOT do well, wow! Notice the windshield is gone! That happened a lot with those gasket windshields, I saw it personally happen just fifty or so feet away from me while I was putting gas in my truck once! It was an old ice cream truck, they rear ended at 75ish Chrysler at the light and the driver of the icecream truck went out through the windshield landing on the trunk of the Chrysler, he did NOT do well.

Brian
In our trucks an accident this severe would leave terrible injuries. Not sure if you'd have been better off staying IN the cab or being ejected out!

Hard metal steering wheel, protruding metal knobs, gas tank in there with you and the rubber hose to the filler would get hard as plastic after awhile and break with a severe impact potentially spraying gas all over. Yikes.

As much as I LOVE our trucks we shouldn't kid ourselves about their safety, or lack thereof. Even with my tank moved out and shoulder belts in my big window cab it is only marginally safer than before. Maybe my face/teeth wouldn't meet the steering wheel/dash but nothing is designed to "collapse" nor is the engine going under the cab in a bad impact. No door beams, nada. The engine or another vehicle is coming straight into ME!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote