View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

My intent is that is the truck becomes my daily, and sails me into retirement; I want to make it last.

It's all original, I6/4spd, allegedly numbers matching, never been in an accident, still original paint. It's been sitting for the past 17 years.

It has typical rust - the door sills are gone, but it doesn't look like the floors are worse than that. Typical fender rust. Rear cab supports gone. Rocker rust, and the cab corners -seem- ok, at first glance, at night, with a flashlight.

I'm going to try and get it running, then possibly drive it for a month or two, planning out what I want.

On one hand I can appreciate the originality, and that's hard to molest. On the other hand, I cannot handle owning "stock;" I have to molest it. If I'm keeping it for me, for a long time, I should make it what I want.

Tentative plan:

Frame off, blast, short-box, epoxy sealers, air ride, Z frame, pancake crossmember, rack & pinion, step notch, painted steelies, powdercoat frame.

I want to do this all old-school; hours and hours of fabrication (because I'm stupid).
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate

Last edited by SkinnyG; 02-03-2018 at 09:12 AM.
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote