View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 01:04 AM   #173
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

Yesterday I installed another 18 square feet of sound deadener, this time it was the “Siless” brand. I used a heater designed for keeping baby chicks warm to pre heat the stuff while I used a heat gun on the metal surface it was to be applied to. It really bonded quite well to the metal, Im thinking it will have a great result with keeping noises out, and keeping Willie Nelson noises in. I still have another 18 feet to install in the doors... I’m hoping to get that solid THUD! when I close the door.

I moved on to the Vintage Air install... something I really am not looking forward to. I’m just not as flexible as I used to be and I’ll often hurt for days after crawling around on my back working up underneath a dashboard. I took the passenger door off the truck and that helped in fitting the evaporator under the dash. It was still a real PIA to get it in there and I’m sure I’ll have to do it a few more times but o well... just another price we will pay to drive one of the most desirable classic trucks in the world I guess. I want to have zero bolts on the firewall that I smoothed out , and the kit calls for 3 bolts to run through it. I’m like to weld some studs on the inside to mount the evaporator, unless someone has a better idea. I do have a question for those of you who have already done this... which hole in the floorboard did you run the drain water out of? The hose provided in the kit will reach 2 different holes in the passenger floor toe board. I like the one farthest off to the left hand side, but I think it will be draining the water onto the back of the wheel well housing if I stick with that location. The other available hole is more in the middle of the toe board, but seems like it will be more easily kicked by passengers there.
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote