View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 11:40 PM   #242
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Chevy COVID blues

Got some good things done, including the transmission lines I didn't have from start, former owner cut them to install an auxiliary cooler completely bypassing the radiator Very cool to see the clip from the oil pan saved 28 years ago hangs the lines exactly as intended, I'll take some pics some point. Less two hours work I'm out of work, and here's why

Waiting on a truss head for the remote choke three weeks. I really want that truss head, I get 100 of them, $8. When I get that I'll mount up the carb and everything but the air cleaner cuz it's been with my nephew so-to-speak three months He says next week He's got my brake booster and steering column too.

I can't speak for small block fan shrouds but factory was supposed to and never did bend the lips on the core support for lower brackets, that I knew. What I didn't know but figured out they're suppose to bend the upper brackets too. They're back with powder coater, he won't be long. So there's why so many BBC shrouds were torn up by fans. Should see all the holes in the one I took off the truck, miss, miss, miss again I picked up a replacement years ago, it's nice, needed a little touch-up on top, I do that tomorrow assuming it's calm, there's a whole half hour. Say, you guys ever spray em? They're plastic with a clear coat on top. I'm using Krylon Fusion on the very top rear section only. Over the years the clear burns off on top, same on both my shrouds, the satin turned out nice on my spare shroud, though I think the original sheen was a pinch more glossy.

Cab and bed aren't on the frame yet, waiting for paint guys to give me the high sign, I could use a lift

Lost my window guy, I suspect he's serving time or threatened to. May have found another guy though.

A month wait so far for Original Air's signal for the A/C restore.

three month wait so far for rubber & seals for the glass. Can't get the vent windows done until then, and I won't be doing them. Can't do the window frames until then either, one needs attention, the shop can do that too. They can install windows too, but they're 30 miles away, and if they break the glass it's my expense............fun!

Word is custom wire harnesses are taking 6 months, I'm in 3 months so far.

Three shots at the correct divorce choke, the guy who rebuilt the carb is an edlebrock guy, so he orders one for the SBC, I call, he orders one for the BBC, doesn't work either, but they're part numbers 1931 & 1935, which is the same as my mother and step-father's birth years, yeah thanks for the reminder Life's a twist sometimes right. Going pretty good beyond that though, the clouds finally cleared. But I want to finish this truck already, it's been 5-6 years.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-01-2021 at 11:45 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote