View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #4680
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

10 plus years parked outside in all weathers next to a shop in Scotland has to have its toll.

Sadly, a 90’s built, U.K. Kitcar with 70’s and 80’s Ford parts and bits of wiring of suspect origin is bound to break your heart at some point.

No matter how optimistic you may be feeling.

Today I wanted to get started with removing the front screen in order to start creating the support for the fold down Land Rover screen.

Sallys Uncle Bob the hoarder popped in for a couple of hours to check up on my progress and to see if I had space for one of his stationary engines or an Austin A35 he has been trying to get me to take, so my plans were a bit scuppered.

But we rolled it down to the garage.

Originally the car had a frame from the roll bar to the screen.....

Radio-tape fitted.

That thankfully fell off along the way from Scotland while Fil was recovering it

But there is a mess of wires, including some bits I do not recognise, left over.....

They need to be removed, but are fibreglassed into the frame.

When I tried to remove the Land Rover mirrors though, they were not attached in an obvious way, so I found there was a channel up the side of the body with small rusty nuts, but not at all accessible......

So a bit of digging, pulling, pushing....

Wet plywood, rusty screws that would not screw out, but a couple of long screwdrivers later....

More rust down the bottom.

Result.

Still no progress on the frame or the mirrors.

Either side.

At least they are open.

Next job will be to hire a 12 year old contortionist mechanic to reach up there under the dash, up he A-Pillar to undo those nuts.

Then the wires to be unthreaded, maybe.

Weekend over.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote