View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #95
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: HP Tuners Tutorials - Section D Disable the Secondary Air Injection Codes

HP Tuners Section D Disable the Secondary Air Injection Codes

So we continue disabling codes for the components we chose not to use after our LS engine swaps. The air pump probably didn't even make it to you and is still attached to the donor vehicles passenger side firewall back at the wrecking yard, making the code easy to miss when disabling all the codes ahead of time. It's job was once to add more air to our exhaust manifolds to help burn more of the unburnable gases, ha ha since you need oxygen to burn things.

In prior posts I talk about the two schools of thought on how to go about disabling codes. So far we have been disabling them ahead of time because we knew what aparatus we were deleting, but in this write up, we watch the PCM throw a code and then go after it. I should have used HP Tuners as my Code Reader this being an HP Tuners tutorial and all, but I wasn't thinking about doing the tutorial at that time so I caught the P0418 code using my Insight Edge CTS2 digital display (pronounced: "expensive"), but any OBDII code reader will find the same codes if you don't own HP Tuners and are just following along for understandability.

On my 2001 Siera donor PCM there were five Secondary Air Injection codes, your PCM may be a little bit different:
P0410 Secondary Air Injection System

P0412 Secondary Air Injection Switching Vavle A Circuit

P0418 Secondaery Air Injection System Control A Circuit

P1415 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 1

P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2
Now let's look at the Black Magic that it takes to disable these codes, we have two controls:
  • SES Enable
  • Error Mode
If it was up to me I would break it up into a third control so it would look more like this:
  • SES (Enable / Disable)
  • MIL (MIL On First Error, MIL on Second Error, No MIL Light)
  • Report Code (On / Off)

1. Again we start in the comfort of our own home, we fire up our laptop and launch the Editor. Open the file we saved in Step 3 of Part IV. (Our last saved file is always our starting point).

2. Make changes in the Editor, this time we will make changes only to the Secondary Air Injection codes. Refer to the cheat sheet below and Disable the SES on these and set the MIL to No Error Reported:
P0410

P0412 was already disabled by default

P0418

P1415

P1416
3. Save the changes you made to a new file and call it something like "08 - Disabled Secondary Air Injection"

4. Now you get to move the operation to your truck, hook up your HP Tuner to the OBDII port and then your USB cable to your laptop, turn the key to the ON position, launch the Editor program, and simply write the new changes to the PCM.

Note: sometimes you have to write the entire tune file to the PCM, sometimes it is perfectly happy with only writing what's changed, more on this later.

More words with each pic:

Last edited by Gregski; 11-08-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote