View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #63
hatzie

Re: Hatzies 2005 2500HD

I had the sandblasted windshield replaced a few days ago. It was pitted enough that it almost looked like glitter in the right sunlight and nighttime driving conditions. There were several rock strikes, somewhere north of seven, as well.
The windshield was $235 installed. I notice some distortion near the RH edge when I'm standing on the ground outside the driver door but it doesn't show up when I'm in the driver seat so I'll live with it. It's stunningly clear.

The RH mirror was original before I dropped off the truck and had fresh mirror glass that was missing the spots for the turnsignal when I picked it up. The installer claims the condition of that mirror was the same as when I dropped it off. I'm not going to argue further about it with them but they are on my bad actors list now.

I didn't want to deal with the thin fun-house mirror glass with no turnsignal Chevrons and, as I discovered when I pulled it off, no heater grid.

GM part numbers for the 03-07 heated mirrors with the turnsignal Chevron behind the glass are LH #88944391 RH #88944392.

The real GM (Muth) heated/turnsignal mirror glass is somewhere around $300 on Amazon. I have well north of 8,000,000 Hilton points so I used a few of them to purchase this mirror on Amazon. I would've just tried one of the slightly better aftermarket mirrors if I didn't have that many hotel points.

Cover the glass with duct tape to catch the glass if it breaks more to keep pieces from falling off. Tape keeps the pieces from slicing up your hands as well.

GM used electrical connectors that are open to the weather. I sprayed inside the electrical connectors on the mirror and vehicle side with White Lithium to limit further corrosion.

Pay attention to the construction of the aftermarket mirror glass cartridges. The glass in all of the aftermarket mirrors is thin but some are a little better than others.
The poorly built mirror glass cartridges don't have as many clasps in the retaining circle as the GM parts.
Most of the aftermarket mirror glass cartridges don't have clips to keep the turnsignal wiring from flopping around but some of the better ones do. You want to find the ones that have clasps because the loose wire can flop around inside the mirror housing and get damaged over time or possibly get pinched when you install the glass on the 4-way mount... Or at least glue the wire in place on the backer with epoxy or hotmelt.

Note the cheaper mount and no wiring clips. These are almost guaranteed to be funhouse glass.
Name:  Cheaper mirror turn.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  31.7 KB

This one is closer to the OEM part. See how the wire and connector are retained and the additional clips in the locking ring to retain the backer on the 4-way motorized tilt ring. I can't speak to how decent the glass is. They went to the trouble of replicating the GM mirror back so the glass may be OK or it may still be pretty distorted.
Name:  good aftermarket mirror.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  47.6 KB

Heated/turn mirrors have a two position connector for the turnsignals and two 1/8" spades for the heater grid.
Heated/turn/dimming mirrors have a four position connector and two 1/8" spades for the heater grid. I haven't found any aftermarket glass cartridges for these. Thankfully I don't have this setup. Many aftermarket mirrors have an adapter pigtail to mate the dimming harness to the non dimming mirrors. You can see the additional pigtail in the video.

This is a video on how to remove the glass. The detail he didn't give is to use a long wide blade screwdriver. Slip it between the clasp towers and gently turn til you hear the clasp(s) release and move over to the next one .
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 05-13-2019 at 01:35 PM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote