View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #118
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

I moved here 34 years ago. Lived here over half my life. It looks like so much because I don't have enough room. I had a barn I rented for years for shop and storage. But in '07 the place got sold, so it's been tight ever since.
Anyone need any good cores? There was a pile of lumber in front of that
Name:  DSCN2206.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  45.0 KB

First picture is the cherry in the screen house before moving any. The third is same spot filling back in with woodshop tools. The second one is the dirt floor in the shed where the transfer cases had been (on metal roof scraps). The fourth is in the barn before I moved anything. Last one is the radial arm on it's way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
K, I wish I had your skills and energy level.
I wish you could come help! I need to get all this done, sell, then fix the next place up while I still can. Moving all that lumber, drivetrain parts, and stationary woodshop tools wore me out. All stiff and sore last evening. You saw my hand truck. That thing makes it all possible. But it was all uphill hauling. Those tools are heavy!

I went out there after posting and it's all so bewildering looking at what to move next, when, and where will it go. I decided since this is prepping to sell, and I'm only doing this as a remedy to the deterrent of the monster tree growing into the building, I'm going the minimal route, leave the shed side standing, take 3' - 4' out of it, and move the barn over to it. Cheapest, quickest, and easiest. Cutting the tree down would be an enormous expense, it makes good shade, could use some serious trimming, but not a deterrent to the sale. I'll have a good bit of space for things in the lower barn to be moved to under the shed.

I also plan this winter to gut the master bedroom I have never touched since I moved in. I never thought about it with all the other work I've done. Just a place to sleep. Plus it's still original plaster. I insulated from outside way back when. I was kind of thinking it would be cool to leave a room original. But again, for the sale I need to make the master bedroom an attractive feature, not be deterrent #2. The ceiling is low and I plan to tear it out to frame it higher, then use the old hand-hewn ceiling beams exposed underneath. I'll wire it, put a floor down, new closets, trim. Nothing fancy, but fresh and more spacious feeling.

I'm probably being unrealistic thinking I'll get it on the market next spring. I'd sell as is but all this work is more work than money, and that's what I do and enjoy. It's not your typical house for just anyone. But I want everything right because it's value is in that it's going to really appeal to someone, like a classic vehicle you just have to have. It needs to be in "no excuses" condition. I don't want to hear words like "fixer-upper" or "lot's of potential".

So, the other big thing I plan (other than new main roof... no biggie) is line the entire dug out cellar with block. That's deterrent #3. I've got the block, so just need mortar and time (bad weather days). The roof is a deterrent I was going to live with. The lower roofs are all new. No leaks in the steeper main roof but the cedar shakes look very tired. I know it will be called out by a home inspector. Shakes have gotten crazy high and I'd really like to see them replaced. But I decided to go with metal like the rest. It's four separate sections, so I'll start with the front (biggest), it's just straight across. Talk talk talk. I need to get back out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Heck, I wish there was a contractor out here that wasn't booked up a year in advance!

I got bunches of stuff to do out here. We're trying to decide whether to fix up our current garage (1 bay with attached room) or tear it down and build a 4-5 bay garage into the hill with half high concrete walls at the back and sides ...
I keep hearing the same thing from my sister in Idaho. Around here it's more like too much competition and too many big companies. Well, a lot of not so big companies who try to appear as big mostly. People fall for it and a big company seems to be what they prefer over big skill. They want polo shirts with logos and trucks with wrap jobs. I've been around to long to want to deal with putting on a front or any other BS. Just show me the work!

That's the crossroad I was at for a long time. If I was staying I would have taken the barn/shed down, not built the single car garage, and built a bigger building in line with the driveway all the way back. Where my garage is would have been a carport off the front of the left garage bay. I'm looking forward to a place with a real shop when I move. I hate having this set outside.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-12-2020 at 05:13 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote