View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 10:17 PM   #31
Yamariv

Re: Need a quality US Made HEI recommendation for my 250 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbks_Cruiser View Post
Don’t be so sure it is not the ignition module. I had symptoms exactly like yours. I’d be driving along and suddenly the engine would quit running just like shutting off the key. Pull over and it would start right up again. No symptoms anything like fuel starvation. I went through all the testing others have already described including testing the pickup coil, a dedicated power supply directly from battery to the hei, dedicated ground to the distributor. Even though I was sure the symptoms did not indicate a fuel delivery problem I checked that as well. I still had the intermittent quit running issue. Finally I replaced the ignition module in the HEI. No problems since then and that was 3 years ago. Modules are fairly inexpensive. It is worth trying the swap. If nothing else, you’ll have a spare.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing! Sounds exactly like my problem! I found an AC Delco Ignition Module from Rock Auto which will be about $85 shipped which isn't to bad considering I'm in Canada. I think I'm gonna order one up. Might as well slowly replace parts in the HEI until I find the problem.

I've also gotta replace that ballast wire..

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote