View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #15
Chris(NJ)

Re: Chris(NJ)'s, where am I going with this, already built build

The latches in this truck have never been great. Original, barely catch on the the first few tries, etc. Same old story as with most of these.
So I adjusted my door to where everything lines up. I honestly do not believe this door can get any better alignment.

I took some measurements, made some marks and then removed the strike plate from the driver's side which would NOT allow the door to close on the strike-bolt. I took the passenger strike plate, turned it upside down so it fits on the driver side, bolted it in and made my mark to drill a new strike-bolt hole. I dropped the hole down 1/3" of an inch from where the original hole would've been. As you can see, the original hole is below the strike bolt in this picture. And if I ever want to use this plate on the passenger side all I need to do is unscrew it, put the strike bolt in the other hole and swap sides.

I think I nailed the alignment. As you can see, the strike bolt is hitting dead center of the latch. (I did the best I could w/ this picture....)

I made a little extra room for the bar that connects the interior door handle to the latch. Cut the outer section of the door skin and folded down the inner door skin. If I was really meticulous, I'd consider sealing that gap, but I'm not that anal.

Here's a vid of it closing. Don't mind the rattling. Still a lot of loose stuff in the door (window regulator, track, etc.).
https://youtu.be/nFR8Btt4ChA

Lastly, I had to now trim the interior panel since these latches sit inboard from the oem ones. Which meant I had to trim about 1/2" off the back edge. Pulled the material, re-glued and stapled.
Attached Images

Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote