Thread: Project Texa Go
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Billett

Re: Project Texa Go

Got some things I'd like your thoughts on guys. First off I finally took some pictures today of the truck and all its lovely misguided repairs. I guess I shouldn't really expect anything different since it was a service truck, but its still annoying to see what people will do to avoid getting something fixed properly...

Riveted the hood instead of getting a new bolt...

Wire cover isn't screwed in even though the screws are already in the hole...

Plug wires are just laying all over the block

Bare wires and connections with no protection

No coolant overflow or even a stopper

Wiper fluid isn't plugged in, although even if it was the hoses just run right into the cab... where there is no pump. They just hang right in front of the pedals

No idea what this spring is there for but I took it off and its hanging from the mirror now lol

One of the worst wiring jobs I've ever seen and a bunch of holes filled with foam

Leaking vents

But hey the seat and roof look gorgeous!

Steering wheel is put on crooked. That is with the tires dead straight

And my favorite! He removed the entire glove box to screw in computer speakers instead of just replacing the damn dash speaker. And painted over the SPID in the process. Note all of the over spray in just about every picture

Lots of work ahead of me...

Now on to the question I have: I just bought a set of steelies from a late model silverado.

Just by looking at them I had an inkling that they wouldn't fit, especially with the offset, but I got them for $50 for all four with tires so I couldn't pass it up. Got them home and they wouldn't fit, no surprise, so I was thinking of selling them out at Carlisle but then I remembered another set of rims I currently own...

These are a set of 17x9.5 C5 corvette z06 rims. The tires on the steelies are 275 so I know they will fit on the c5's. However the c5's are obviously not the right lug pattern. They are 5x4.75 so even if I did the later model disc swap it wouldn't work right.

My question is this; I want disc brakes and these z06 rims, but I don't know what route I should go. I recall seeing a swap kit that changes from 6x5.5 over to the 5x4.75. I also know there are plenty of kits for regular disc to drum with the same lug pattern and also the later model swap to the 5x5 pattern. With any of the ones above I would need some of the billet adapters for the wheels to fit. Discs on the rear would be nice also, but again I could just use the adapters if I needed to. The adapters themselves are 2" to 2-1/4" thick so that gets rid of the problem of the offset and tires rubbing, hopefully. Also my truck (supposedly) has a 2" drop with aftermarket drop springs, but stock spindles. I don't know what the benefit of drop spindles over stock would be aside from the fact that some kits need drop spindles. I am assuming it allows bigger rotors but please fill me in!

What seems to be the best approach? I know several people who run adapters on their s10s in order to fit vette rims so I am not worried about the safety of using them, but practically will it be more beneficial to have one lug pattern over another on the actual brake rotors? I apologize if this seems like a simple or dumb question but I haven't worked with brakes much aside from bleeding lines and changing pads. Any criticism is good criticism as far as I'm concerned. If it's a dumb idea just tell me up front haha
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote