Thread: rear end swap
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #9
SCOTI

Re: rear end swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
here's what I know as I am not up to speed with all the details as all I did was buy the motor and trans out of a 2001 Camaro and install it, Then sent the pcm to cal. for them to fix the harness. The only thing I know is I did tell them the raer end was a 308 when in fact it is a 370. I never sent it back for them to re set it. I didn't think it would matter that much. The truck is all stock except for a 2 inch drop in front(spindles) and 4 inch in back(shackles and mounts). Tires are factory steel wheels and 235/75/R15. don't know rpms I dont have a tach
Your tire size w/a .70 OD gear should yield 2100 rpm @ 70mph. Thats where you need to be. Anything lower will drop highway rpm's but they're in range of the 'small block' sweet spot.

Simply lowering rpm's beyond the sweet spot doesn't gaurantee better mpg's. The efficiency of mass going down the road will have an impact (these trucks are kind of a brick). Vehicle specific tuning is a must for your quest.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote