View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 01:10 AM   #244
84chevyguyid

Whats behind door #1...

A hell of a lotta work! Got all the pieces in for the rear doors and got the first one mostly done. Recap: gutted both rear doors, also gutted both rear doors on my parts suburban for misc pieces but mostly the tinted glass. Cleaned inside and outside of door so things will stick to it. Stuck down dampening tiles on inside of the outer door skin, turned it from a ringing sound to a dull thud. Glued foil faced bubble insulation over the tiles. Replaced door lock actuator and lubed latch and locking mechanism up. Installed new glass channel in door frame. Installed qtr window then installed divider track. Installed window and got the divider track worked onto it and bolted down. Stuck regulator in and got arms in tracks then went to bolt it down and discovered the two lower bolt holes for the regulator werent drilled in the door which is wierd as the driver side door had them. Hooked a pigtail up to the regulator and watched the window glide up and down effortlessly in its new glass channels! I bought some JL Audio 4" coax speakers with the idea of putting them in the door somewhere in the area where the ash tray currently resides in the door. Turns out that the spot where they needed to go in is over an indentation in the door where the spring part of the regulator sits and there was enough depth behind the panel for the magnet to fit. Got a piece of closed call foam and cut it to fit then cut a piece of mass loaded vinyl to go over that and I think the door panel will go on ok with all that behind it. I need to cut out a donut out of plywood to go between the door panel and the metal door skin so I can screw the speakers through the plywood and into the door skin to anchor them solid so they wont vibrate in the plastic door panel. I get that done then I can put the door panel on for good and have one done! The grey door panel sure looks alot nicer than the icky maroon panel on the front door! Am wondering if the speaker would look better grey instead of black?
Attached Images

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote