View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #50
lks dcvn

Re: 1972 Blazer - 'Bullet' Project

Got to play the game called - "try and burn down the truck" yesterday...yikes!

I needed to move the Blazer since it was in the opening to the back yard and I got the call to paint my Dad's truck - this guy had to move out of the way.

So after replacing the gas tank - I couldn't keep the thing running. I could pour gas down the carb and it would run for a bit and then die out.

I checked the lines and found a crappy rubber line at the fuel filter (which was rusted anyway) in the engine bay and a line near the tank was kinked over...duh. Time to hit the parts store.

While I was in there I replaced the fuel filter with a metal WIX filter from O'Reilly and then fixed the line kink problem - then it fired right over -

I moved it out of the way to get the truck (70 LWB) onto the driveway for sanding/paint to follow. I parked it behind my garage and went to work on my Dad's truck for a few hours...

After painting a bit I went back to do some work on the Blazer. I wanted to check the body mounts closely and then try to clean up some other stuff while I had the time and nice weather...

So I hop in and it fires right up instantly - (it used to take a few times to start up). I get out and the strong smell of fuel hits me - I run to the hood and pop it to see the fuel line going into the carb disconnected and spewing gas all over the engine -

I cut the engine off and disconnect the battery instantly and then start the cleanup process. I had some simple green sitting right there that was mixed with hot water and so I doused the engine with it and then used some paper towels to soak/wipe up the excess - now the engine bay is a little cleaner - but that scared the crap out of me.

I fixed the line, replaced the clamps and then buttoned it back up and gave it a test fire - runs like a champ...

Just needs some TLC now - brakes, exhaust, interior, rust repair, etc.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote