Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #135
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
You should be able to make 'straps' that connect to a common tab. Just make them so they work w/the current mounting plates you already created. Basically a 'sammich'..... The plate/anchor inside the rail (one slice of the bread); the gas tank flange (the meats or PB); & the gas tank strap/flange for under the rail (the other piece of bread). The bolts would go through the tank-strap flange, through the tank flange + rail; & then thread into your mounting flange inside the rail. My re-pop tank has 2 channels formed into the steel where the straps would be positioned under the tank for the added support that will dictate the size of your 'tank-strap' flange.

I did mine that way but now have to re-create them (I did a similar mount/set-up like your build for bolting the tank in place using nuts welded to a plate). But, my tank was originally set-up for my old 68 swb truck w/stock rear rails. For that app, I actually set the tank between the frame rails, raised it 2" so it wouldn't hang as low, & made shorter S.S. straps that worked w/the raised position. The bed floor was getting raised 3" so raising the tank wasn't an issue.

Since I raised the rails on this frame & I'm using a wood floor, I'm going to mount the tank under the rail like OE. I'll modify (shorten) my inner frame piece w/the welded nuts for inside the rails & re-make the tank straps to accommodate the increased depth under the rails.

Ok that makes sense, I need to double check but I'm guessing the gas tank flange holes are in line/centered with the tank strap channels so they should work like a charm in the existing holes I drilled. I hope so cuz that's exactly what I'll do. I'll have to modify the straps a little cuz they don't fit snug and precise but that's easy fix.

I really wanted to raise my tank as well so it didn't hang so low but that wasn't gonna happen with stock location of bed and rail. It will be fine though, 4.5 front, 5.5 rear with stock style chrome bumpers should hide most of it and I'm prob gonna paint it black.

Ok now off to read your build thread... Whew, 30 sum pages and your not done lol...

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote