View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Re: 283 heads on 350

i'm eager to hear this as well as i have been thinking of this very concept lately---raising compression to increase mpg.

1) Do you already have the 283 heads? If not, to confuse the issue further consider the L98 corvette heads; Being that they are 58cc's (i think?), this would also help to raise compression in addition to also being aluminum--less weight which is probably the best way to get better mpg. Still sold as new at GMPP i believe.

2) i have shyed away from the higher compression route for a while now mainly due to concerns about durabilty/longevity compared to a lower compression engine.
However, after more thinking which do you think would last longer?

a) a higher compression 350 w/ say 10:1 that was driven "normally," spending most of it's time from 2500rpm and below..

b) a lower compression 350, say a crate 350 which has about 8:1 to 8.5:1 or even an engine w/ lower compression---say 7.5:1 which has the pee run out of it and frequently raced at stoplights/track at upwards of 4500-5000+ rpm frequently?

i say "a" would last longer due to my belief that high rpm is far more stressful to an engine than higher cylinder pressure.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote