View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 03:14 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: anyone wanna help me pick a cam?

I guess that I should have asked about you usage on the truck? Is it a cruiser, or hauler? Gear ratio & tire size does also make a difference. The HE-268 was the biggest cam reccomended to run with a stock converter......however, it liked 24-2500 stall! I have heard clips of both cams in a 355, & will say that you can probably deal with a 21-2200 converter with the 262 camshaft. I ran an old crane cam in a 327+ .040....the cam was .216/.216 @ .o50. Slight lope at idle (more heard with open corks). This was a stick shift truck, & pulled from the bottom. As you step up in cubes (you will be around 360, with the bore), you will find that the response will be better in the bigger engine. You will also find that the modern cam profiles, will blow the old chit out of the water! The stock GM heads need a little help on the ex side....A little more duration @ .050, & maybe a little more lift @ the valve. The ramps are quick on the XE cams, & will show you more. You can also look into Lunati cams, for another source. I am off my soap box......let the rest of the guys play Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote