View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
Hayseed4

Re: NL2 Factory fuel cap hole location

Unfortunately the bolts an nuts on this were all rusted to the tank o ad to use a drill press to remove the remains of the bolts. I ended up taking half in 12in long carriage bolts and thread rod, beveling the ends, and welding them together, grinding it down and then ran my threading die over it. I made them longer than needed so I had plenty of space for attaching it. As for the nuts, I was able to save some of the washers on the bottom, drilled them out so I could put a 1in long nut through it, welded them together so that have lots of good purchase with the wrench when installing, and then cut most of the excess off after I had them installed. I also made to special washers on top to keep the carriage bolt from spinning. While it may not quite be "factory" it fulfills the same job and since original parts for that are rare at best I am satisfied. Working with my guys in a Fab shop has helped broaden my mind as to how to build things and make replacement parts. Hopefully this can help somebody else if they need to make these parts for their tank.
Hayseed4 is offline   Reply With Quote