View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #53
MD2020

Re: Under dash Valence, Steel build along

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
some suggestions:
make an extension to your buck to support the flange area for stretching until the whole piece lies down in the buck, then remove the extension to turn the flange?
Pre stretch the areas that are a problem, hammer them on some anvil while it is still flat sheet
Turning the flange will be easier if you get a sharp crease along the line first, take it out of the buck and tap a crease in against a square corner of something, then back into buck to hammer flange down
A smaller flange is easier to turn
You can weld on a flange if all else fails

thinner metal is easier to work

A problem area you just can't get to move will go away if you lance it with a cut off wheel and hammer it down, weld it up later.

adjusting the long straight part of the under dash panel to fit the curve you end up with might be easier than trying to perfect this piece

I have an english wheel and an air planishing hammer. I'm just at the hack level with both. I think for this part I'd do the top flange in buck then do a lot of shaping with the planishing hammer. I'd probably get it close enough to the shape I had in mind, smooth it out and hide the buck so no awkward questions got asked.
I did not do anything today I has some loose end to tie up on other things but I did get a piece of .030 from tractor supply if I need it.
Thanks for the info. I will keep all that in mind.

I will try to hammer this one out first and see what I get.

It only has to fit where it butt's to the long piece, I can always hammer and dolly that area.

I don't have a leather bag. I will think of something I have here that may work.
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote