View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #147
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
What I know the term "rick" to mean has nothing to do with quantity or firewood. It is the method used to air dry lumber or just stack it to keep it dry. It's when you place narrow strips of wood in line with one another between each course of board while also leaving space side by side of each board. That is how you air dry lumber when not kiln drying. It's also how to store it outside to prevent rot and mold.

Yesterday I dug and formed. I forgot mention that digging meant fill the wheelbarrow, walk it out to the road, over next door in the meadow, dump in the ruts my neighbor made, and spread out. A couple summers ago we had record rains and the stream kept flooding the meadow. My neighbor had trailers he had dumped there years before and decided they needed to be moved when things were as wet as they will ever get. Tore it up bad, so bad it can't be mowed and it's a mosquito pit. I needed a place to get rid of dirt, so killed two birds with one stone. I also dug and formed for a threshold at the far side entry door to the garage.

Oh and SteveeDee, what could you do with a piece of cherry like this?

This evening I graded and seeded up to the form work. That was my goal. Get grass growing before the season ends so it won't be a mudhole all winter. I also have stepping stones going around to the back door of the house. There was always a low spot where in heavy rain it would puddle. I've wanted to pull the stones up and raise them to create a swale to direct water on out and down the side of the house. I got pictures today
Not sure, but if you wanted to buy a plank like that around here you'd be dropping anywhere from $6 to $11 per board foot, depending on the quality of the grain. That plank's worth anywhere from $80 to $170, around here. It's why I try to find free wood. I go to the Habitat ReStore or the Salvation Army store for old furniture made of solid wood, then cut it up. I bought a low dresser made of thick quarter-sawn white oak (QSWO) awhile back. The figure in the wood is to die for. I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I paid less than the wood would cost me in a store. It's hard to find QSWO with decent figure. I saw a 3/4" X 6" by 4' board at a Rockler store. They wanted $100 for it. That's $25 per board foot! Rockler has what I call "boutique" wood.

You're a nice guy for filling in the neighbor's divots!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote