Thread: 355 Build
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
68post

Re: 355 Build

Yes, if you use heads with pretty decent exhaust flow you won't need a dual pattern cam - altho the cast iron manifolds will hurt performance, especially torque production over the complete range.
Single pattern cams help your output below 4,000/4,500 rpm.

The VooDoo cams are great and created (originally) by a master Mr. Harold Brookshire, but you are in the duration range I'm considering for a 407ci engine with 10.5 comp with a manual trans and may be a bit too high for your combined: proposed stall range, weight, gearing, and compression. The lower first gear of a 700R4/4L60 will help with negating some of these effects.

Performer EPS intake would be my first choice, and your Qjet is perfect.

AFR Eliminator heads are at the very top of the aluminum heads, (you only need the 180cc version), next brand of heads are Profiler - which can actually make more HP than AFR if they're ported (AFR Eliminator heads only come as CNC ported).
And I would prefer 58cc chambers with your low compression setup, but be aware your quench is terrible with anything larger than a very thin shim type head gasket.

There are iron head choices also and they will work with shim gaskets perhaps better than AL. You can have heads flat and/or angle milled to reduce chamber volume if need be. At where your compression is a 64cc chamber is a maximum IMHO.

$.02 whether that much was needed or not..
94 K1500 lifted shortbed 350 4 bbl NV4500
68post is offline   Reply With Quote