View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 01:27 PM   #40
MikeB

Re: 1967 Chevy 327 Alternator Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparralman1974 View Post
Good morning everyone!

The challenge that I have is that the alternator pulley doesn't seem to line up with the water pump and crank pulley. It is off by about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. Additionally, the upper brace doesn't have enough travel in it to properly adjust the belt tension.
Those are very common problems with alternators and short water pumps. If heads are aftermarket or Vortec with a raised valve cover "rails", even stock height covers will interfere. I actually extended my upper bracket by a couple inches and used a longer belt. It's tight, but I can remove the belt.

I'm not sure why your alternator pulley doesn't line up with the crank pulley. Here's my setup using a lower cast bracket that mounts to the head. I know your heads don't have bolt holes, but maybe this picture will help someone else.
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 04-18-2024 at 01:36 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote