View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
AirSpeed

Re: 12in sub Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70sbchevy View Post
Thanks airspeed, im definitely going to run that program once i get a rough design of the box. Right now I already got the 12" subs from a friend of mine and I was just tryin to see if I could fit them in my truck. I would of bought shallow subs if it wasnt for that. I'mk startin to lean on tryin to fit the subs behind the seat since I already got 6x9s and a 200W amp under the seat. I think I might be able to fit them in the rear corners of the cab. Just in case that doesnt work, I was thinkin about down firing them in the cab, what kind of difference will I see sound wise versus mounting them regularly?
In my 69 C10 I have the two subs under the seat, two 6X9s aiming forward in custom boxes under the front edge of the seat, mostly for midrange, I didn't want to cut the doors so that's where they ended up. For imaging I mounted two 1 1/4" surface mount tweeters in the area that would normaly have the air vents in a air conitioned cab, they worked out perfect there and give really nice stereo seperation, much better than you get from the lower door mounted position. If you mount your 6x9s in the cab corners you probably won't get any stereo seperation and will have to give most of the power to your right channel in order to hear them somewhat equally. You might want to consider getting a seperate mid and tweeter, something like I did, it makes a big difference. The lower frequencies aren't very directional as the highs so it would give you more options when it comes to mounting the mids, the mids are directional so it would be nice if you could get them in front of you and seperated as far apart as you can. I have mounted a pair of 4"mids under the dash in one of my former trucks and it worked out pretty good.
As I mentioned before, maybe you could mount your 6x9s aiming forward under the front edge of your seat and pick up a pair of surface mounted tweets for the dash corners, unless you want to cut your doors for the 6x9s? If you do use some surface mount tweets make sure they come with at least a high pass crossover to protect them from low frequencies blowing them up, some come with an attached capacitor, I always replace it with a simple crossover of my own design, they are easy to design and the parts can be had at partsexpress. I paid $20 for my surface mount tweets 8 years ago
and they still sound great. Let me know if I can help and I hope I haven't confused you! Play around with that program, it is neat to see what little changes in box size will do. Good luck!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote