View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 05:07 PM   #158
gearheads78

Re: PDF of Square Schematics & GM Training Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Just downloaded the 78 wiring diagrams to a USB stick. This PC is running Linux so I wouldn't assume my virus scanner would find Windows bugs. I checked the file with different virus scanners on four different windows machines and I'm not seeing any untoward attempted network traffic through the firewall from my guinea pig Sitting Duck where I opened the file.
No virus found by the software on the windows boxes.
I believe Mediafire does a virus scan on incoming files to avoid being a virus distribution hub.

That being said. It's the wild west out there. Ad servers are becoming virus vectors. That's why I run script and ad blockers even tho I'm running my own distro of Linux that has a low probability of infection with your garden variety Windows viruses. Android is Linux based and there are inroads by the malware creators into that ecosystem so I'm not saying that "Linux can't be infected". It most certainly can and viruses do exist for my OS.
I air gap the machine by unplugging the network cable when I'm not using the network.
I would highly recommend getting NoScript for Firefox and only temp whitelisting the minimum URLs to make individual web pages work til you get a handle on your comfort levels with various servers.
I largely run Firefox because Chrome tends to neuter ad and script blockers (no big surprise, Google is funded by advertisers) and I don't run the Microsoft or Apple browsers so I have no idea what's available for Safari or Edge.
Thanks I will look in to it again
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote