View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Re: Poll. Metal siding is off-center. Redo or go with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59bones View Post
Sorry but I gotta chime in cuz I'm a picky architect.

I would not be happy with that look. It's not just at the peak but also the window, the light and door jambs. That would drive me nuts. How much more effort or materials (1 sheet of metal?) would it have taken to get that all centered?

On the back 40; OK, if I can see it from my castle, no way.
I can explain what more it would take to get that wall centered. I'm sure it wasn't saving material that caused this. Not about an extra piece of metal. Most contractors will just pick up a fresh sheet and start off with that, and that is what happened here. Many don't have the where-with-all to think to plan the wall out. It's so simple, just find center and measure back in the increments of the materials. In this case, 9", and start with whatever it comes out to at the end. In this case that would mean measuring all the way out to the corners of the shed roof extensions.

I don't think I would have it changed, but I would certainly point it out and voice my disappointment. While taking the step to center the wall is a mark of better craftsmanship, what is shown here is considered somewhat acceptable. If there are other areas where the contractor came up short, you have one more thing to add to the list, and possibly readjust the final cost. You can use that you saved the contractor money by not having the wall redone.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote