View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 05:06 AM   #92
GMCPaul

Re: kyb shocks/ part numbers

I'm surprised none of our customers have responded as we've told all that ask.
ANY, I REPEAT AMY, shock that is made for your stock 1967-72 truck at normal ride height is ALSO the correct shock for those trucks with front & rear drop kits of ANY DROP Height. So if you use 1-5 1/2" drop in the front you still use the same shock. If you use 1-6" drop in the rear you still use the same shock. ECE, No limit, Classic, Brothers, everyone is selling shocks that are made to stick travel specifications. Now your asking why this is true. The reason is with any of the drops I listed above the stock shocks minimum & maximum travel distances are not exceeded. Since the shocks travel limits are still within spec, the stock shock length is still used.
NOW in the rear once you hit about a 5" rear drop the shock has become to horizontal to absorb vertical travel effectively. So you then install rear shock relocators in the rear to make the shocks more vertical again so that they can then absorb the vertical travel of the truck. ( It's also my understanding though I have not tried it yet, that if you move the rear lower shock bracket from left side to the right, and the right side to the left this will also correct the shock angle back to a more vertical position eliminating the need for rear shock relocators. ) But again I've not checked this myself on just swapping the lower mounts from 1 side to the other. I'm just reporting what I've heard from several low budget builders.
So everyone out determine the type of ride that you want based on you and your driving habits then look up the shocks and look for comfort, sport, off road etc.... based on your driving style & preference's and then purchase the stock shock for your truck in that type of shock. KYB GR-2 soft comfortable ride, KYB gas a just shocks give a firmer ride , etc.....
Then buy from who you choose. If your already buying parts from 1 location and the shocks they have only cost a little more than the cheapest place you've found get the shocks from where your buying your other parts unless your getting free shipping.
Hope everyone is Healthy, Happy, & Prosperous in 2016 and beyond.
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote