View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #25
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

So… I decided to do the jeep steering shaft “modification”. I purchased a new shaft from summit (black Friday purchase). After reading the thread on here & asking a few questions, I decided on a game plan. I started by “trying” to melt the plastic/rubber sleeving inside. I thought I got it after about 6 min. of heating and a goo of rubber came bubbling out. So.. I decided enough heat and proceeded to “try” to separate the 2 shafts. Well this is where the fun started; I could not move either one. I gave heat another try but again neither would budge… aarrgg. After about an hour of using a pry bar and hammer I FINALLY separated the 2 shafts. The inside shaft evidently has a “nub” at the end that for some reason was a really tight fit. After resting, I cleaned up the ends of each shaft to fix my separation anxiety marks. I then proceeded to mark where I was going to drill a hole and weld a nut on to except a bolt for holding the 2 in place from vibration (not collusion). On the inner shaft I “flared”a dimple for the end of the bolt. I test fitted the shaft and after prying each end open a bit I was able to get each shaft to fit snugly on. So now that all seemed right I cleaned everything and then painted the shafts. Overall I am pleased with the result. I do have a few headscratchers though, I am not sure why, but when reading the mod thread I did not get the impression that it was as “technical”. I think the idea of using the acytaline torch(?) is a good idea . If I could have gotten the shafts hotter it may have helped. And to be honest I am not sure that the shaft I chose was the same as the recommendation(s). All in all I am happy and can’t wait to “test” it once I finish the rebuild and start driving. Thoughts?? Comments?? And now for the pics!!!
Thanks!!
Attached Images

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote