View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #38
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: GMC V-12 powered '91 Chev crewcab

Speaking of trailer-mounted....

Before I retired, we'd have a company come into our plant, periodically, and clean some big tanks for us. They had a flatbed-mounted V-16 engine that drove a pump. The engine was HUGE!! It would make four of your V-12's to equal the overall length of that beast.

I used to belong to a car club that had joint shows with the Rusty Wheels Engine Club, here in Arkansas. One of their members, also one of ours, had a 1960 Chevy Conventional cab tractor (single-axle) that pulled a low-boy trailer. Mounted on that trailer was a 1920 Fairbanks 2-cycle diesel that had been used to drive an irrigation pump near the rice fields of Stuttgart, AR. He nicknamed it Miss Smoke Rings. It took a 3-horse hit/miss Fairbanks engine driving an old air compressor that was used to start the diesel, after he had built a fire on the head of the cylinder. Once he had enough pressure and the head was hot enough, he'd grab the flywheel (it was about 6-feet in diameter) and start trying to start the engine. Once he had it running, he'd idle it down and add fuel to it, You could count the RPM's by the number of smoke rings that it would shoot out of the exhaust pipe...a pipe that was 12-inches in diameter. Best I remember, it would idle at something like 30RPM's.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 09-12-2007 at 12:26 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote