View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 11:30 PM   #30
Osker

Re: K20 basket case resurrection

The frame does not look bad anywhere and no major structural rust. Mostly surface rust. I was thinking about getting it sandblasted but that is a whole other logistical project and I think I can strip, clean, and paint the frame at the house. It is in decent shape and I am not looking to build a show truck. Just clean up what is there and make it serviceable and presentable again. I figure the money saved on blasting I can put into something else on the truck. I was quoted at $900 for blasting the frame and axles.

I pressure washed the frame but it didn't remove as much as I thought it would, but I didn't use oven cleaner or anything like that, just water. So I started scraping the sludge and caked on grease and dirt off the front of the frame, transmission, and transfer case with a putty knife. I figure that If I can get the big chunks off it will assist me later on as I get the frame stripped down further. I don’t plan on taking any rivets out, but I will disassemble the bolted frame pieces.
Attached Images

Osker is offline   Reply With Quote