View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #24
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Correctly installed rag joint to shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
i believe the clearance allows for expected joint flex and articulation.
thanks! That's the only spot I could make sense of it, but I still wasn't there.

On the spring-load business, I realized I tried it backwards A guy can't preload a spring with the flange attached to the rag joint. So next try I'm leaving the mast alone at first, as it is it's almost all the way to the rear anyway.
Setting the adjusting the ring nearest the rear. The pot joint pulled to the rear, and near as I can tell mount the clamp with the upper shaft fully inserted. Then preload the spring.

With some luck I may be able to do that with the flange on the rag started, because it's not quite a straight shot until it's mounted, takes a little force, the holes in the flange are a tight fit. Otherwise I can loosen the rag joint, perhaps the box & mast as well, get this done.

Found a nice NOS turn switch, even the grease is good, though I probably should replace it. I just have to get around to finishing the top, then my buddy is going to help install this. Won't be long this will have a body.

I still haven't quite figured out the use of the adjusting ring. I suppose it's for the lower shift lever adjustment, but by hand it looks like the lever pulls forward the same no matter what. Maybe with the rest done it will make more sense.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 11-17-2021 at 01:11 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote