View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 09:11 AM   #10
cbeerman

Re: Rockwell T-221 Transfercase Slop - Need Advice

Here is the bearing/ seal list Timken part numbers
The seal numbers in parenthesis are SKF numbers

The PTO seals are wrong for a 67 but look to be the same as the output seals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Cd5Tj9YpI

This guy says he used the 3/4 thick Meritor A-1805-E-447 seal in the adapter. Again I'm no expert and have no experience with this particular double lip seal but it looks like he has them in backwards. On my 68 adapter the spring side of the seals faced both the trans and transfer case.

Torque king says
The original Rockwell T221 Transfer Case Seal was a low temp rated, opposed Double Lip/Double Spring Seal that was 3/4" wide and it protruded out from the bearing retainer about 1/4". QU30300 is a high-temp single lip seal that is 5/16" wide so 2 seals can be stacked in each bearing retainer. For maximum oil sealing, I recommend you stack the two seals consecutively with the open side of the seals towards the inside of the transfer case and both seal faces toward the outside. Installed this way, you will get double the sealing effect compared to a single seal which is especially important if you have worn yokes or loose bearings. If road splash is a problem, you can install the 2 seals face to face to mimic the original Rockwell seal. When installed face to face, the inner seal keeps oil in the transfer case and the outer seal seals out road splash and debris.

Now is the part where I could use a opinion on output seals

SKF 17379 is a Single Lip Oil Seal - Solid, 1.750 in Shaft, 2.502 in OD, 0.313 in Width, CRW1 Design, Fluoro Rubber (FKM) Lip Material
and
SKF 17381 is a Double Lip Oil Seal - Solid, 1.750 in Shaft, 2.502 in OD, 0.313 in Width, CRWA1 Design, Fluoro Rubber (FKM) Lip Material

Because of the T221 running temps I would think the Fluoro Rubber would be the preferred seal material but wouldn't a double lip seal be better?
I was going to stack them like suggested but use the double lip on the outside and since I already have the 17379 seal put them on the inside.

BTW another thought that I had to avoid leaks is to use Permatex Thread Sealant on all of the case bolts like you would do on head bolts
Attached Images

Last edited by cbeerman; 03-03-2023 at 09:24 AM.
cbeerman is offline   Reply With Quote