Thread: Oil-less turbos
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Oil-less turbos

Aside from the ability to run them remotely, you gain the benefit of not worrying about oil drain. You can mount the turbo at ack-basswards angles and still have "complete" lubrication.

FWIW, on something like a road course car I could really see them being cool. Lets say your running a regular oil system in something like an fbody, without running the dry sump or similar...and you have a high front mount or twins. You take a corner at full tilt, weight and oil go to the outside. You take that corner a couple quarts low because of blowby, and all of a sudden your starving the high -side in a corner. Being able to wacky-mount your turbo and not stress oil drain or feed lines is a potentially huge plus in some applications. (I just noticed that they did one vertically on a snowmobile...which was cool as hell)

I've also heard good things about their efficiency, and the centers are billet so they weigh less than other large frame turbos. You still need a water line, but its orientation doesn't matter like the oil line usually does.

Cost wise, there is a big big difference when you get into the sizes you'd be looking at for a 346 or larger.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote