View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #54
Arne

Re: '64 C-10 Stalled Project Rescue

Picked it up this morning, in a pouring rain. The exhaust is good, nice sound but not too loud. Stainless tips exiting behind each rear wheel look proper.

As for the drive home, it was mostly all good. This is the first time I've driven the truck more than a time or two around the block. The odometer (which works!) registered 17 miles for the trip home. The single speed wipers work surprisingly well. While the heater fan is DOA, the heater itself delivered heat while driving home. The non-boosted brakes work well, albeit needing a lot of leg, so adding a booster will stay on my list. The A833 3+OD manual transmission is a pretty interesting choice. It looks and shifts like a car-type Muncie, but drives (and sounds) like a wide ratio truck transmission (which is what it is, to be fair). The overdrive 4th gear is pretty much useless below 45 or so, but should make for relaxed highway driving.

Of course, "mostly all good" is not the same as "all good". I fully expected to find areas that are lacking. But there are really only 3 of note. First, the fuel gauge (that I had tested early in the rewiring) doesn't do anything. Second, the 20 year-old tires have rubber that's about as hard as a bowling ball. Last, and most important, the steering is horrible—very heavy, and sloppy as all get out. Several inches of play at the wheel. The steering box must be totally worn out.

The tires and steering are already on the priority list - the new tires are here and are just waiting for me to get the new wheels. The power rack & pinion set up has been ordered, and should be here by the end of the year.

And I'll take another look at the fuel gauge either later today or tomorrow.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 12-03-2022 at 09:16 PM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote