View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #103
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Timing & Gas Milage

Heard from Cliff after he got my carburetor, both a email and a actual voice call just a bit ago.

First thing, Cliff told me that Quadrajet Power (Mark) learned from him and used to get premade carburetor kits from him. Then Mark became a full on competitor and parts source. Cliff says Mark is a okay guy but really doesn't know these carburetors in / out. For example, my current 78 (and onward) carburetor are the best, where as the 72s are pretty crappy and need specialized work.
  1. It has a very lean idle calibration and HUGE upper idle air bleeds, stock for that model.
  2. Jets have been increased from 71 to 72 and using the stock 36B primary rods.
  3. The hanger was pretty low but I was able to remove the APT screw and install an external one for full control there.
  4. It doesn’t have much idle bypass air. The accl pump seal is junk, N/S small with windows so it would drain down more after shutdown.
  5. Primary power piston hanger arms are bent, one is down slightly, the other is up so it would not be providing even fuel to both sides at light engine load.
  6. It has lead plugs in two different places, both have been drilled out but tiny holes in the plugs that were in the main casting so very little bypass air.

Basically, my 72 carburetor has no chance to run right, it is extremely lean and there is not enough fuel being sent to the engine (until I am WOT). This is also the reason why I have problems in morning getting started. He said I would have to more or less need the choke plate nearly closed off to get started.

Also my problems are compounded with my 350 rebuild that has dish pistons and a mild RV Cam. He also expects that my head gasket is to thick (compared to the factory stock thin gasket) thus messing up even more something call the "quench". Though he says these issues are completely normal on 350 rebuilds. Basically the carburetor needs to be rich, not leaned out.

I was also happy to learn he tests the carburetors on his test engine to figure things out / tweaking / final testing, though he isn't pre-testing this one as there isn't a point until he rebuilds it.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote