Thread: Engine Swap?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 11:46 PM   #2
SeventyOne

Re: Engine Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaso View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a 1972 GMC Sierra Grande K2500 Camper Special. New original white over bronze paint looks great. Its got a leaky crate engine, but most of the truck is rust free original, or 98% restored.
I could use some advice on doing an engine swap, or at least a rebuild. I'm of two minds here. First choice would be an LS with a new trans. Second choice would be a "new" crate engine. Third choice would be to rebuild the crate I've got. Of course, cost is a factor overall.
Some of my buddies argue that the truck is so original (I'm only the second owner) that I should keep it as close to original as possible. However, I'm leaning towards at least a new intake and a computer driven fuel injection system to improve reliability and fuel milage. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Tomaso
This is so subjective and personal to each person...BUT I'll throw out my (likely unpopular) opinion because you asked!

it's my opinion that the LS swaps are overdone. They're F'n everywhere. If it were me I'd pull your existing engine, rebuild it and upgrade to the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 MPFI system. I just installed one on my 383 and I love it.

I doubt fuel injection will really help with mileage that much, however. Remember you're driving a brick down the road

Now i'm sure some LS guy will come on here claiming he gets 20mpg. So if mileage is really your goal maybe thats the route for you.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote