Thread: Engine Swap?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #8
mattfranklin

Re: Engine Swap?

Lowest cost and easiest is probably a crate engine -- cost depends on power level.

For me the most fun is a rebuild. I had fun rebuilding mine to the '70 Corvette/Camaro Z-28 specs for '70. But in the future, not sure what I'd do because my favorite machine shop (Morgan's in Walnut Creek) just closed this summer. (SeventyOne: where would you go for machine work in the East Bay Area?)

If you want a technical challenge and the most power then go with the LS, but that will cost time and money.

On the fuel mileage thing, if you calculate how many miles you drive per year, your fuel cost, and so on, the payback time is pretty long. So figure out how much that is worth to you financially as well as bragging rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaso View Post
Hi Guys,
I have a 1972 GMC Sierra Grande K2500 Camper Special. New original white over bronze paint looks great. Its got a leaky crate engine, but most of the truck is rust free original, or 98% restored.
I could use some advice on doing an engine swap, or at least a rebuild. I'm of two minds here. First choice would be an LS with a new trans. Second choice would be a "new" crate engine. Third choice would be to rebuild the crate I've got. Of course, cost is a factor overall.
Some of my buddies argue that the truck is so original (I'm only the second owner) that I should keep it as close to original as possible. However, I'm leaning towards at least a new intake and a computer driven fuel injection system to improve reliability and fuel milage. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Tomaso

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote