View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 11:03 PM   #42
Nick_R_23

Re: 1978 Chevy K20 longbed with nearly 500,000 miles! LS Swap begins!

Another slightly sporadic update, I kicked through another handful of small things this weekend.

The PTO cover plates were still leaking on the transmission, even with new gaskets. I decided to ditch those and picked up some nice machined aluminum ones which should also benefit by cooling the oil a little more. I picked up a hydroboost rebuild kit for when I come across a rebuildable unit. The power steering cooler fittings came in, along with a Y-block for the fuel sensor, and some wiring connectors for later on in the game.

My oil pressure sending unit adapter came in from Ebay. I believe this is off a late 80's/early 90's corvette. It has a dual outlet for both the stock and Holley sensors.

I also picked up a new brake light switch, oil pressure switch, and a bottle of brake fluid for the clutch cylinder. A few things also came in from Summit, a couple fuel fittings, fuel hose fire liner, and the firewall grommet for the Holley harness.

Assembled the fuel Y-block.

This is how it will mount with the sensor.

I trimmed the grommet up to the 1" mark and ran it under hot water for a couple of minutes to soften it up more. This was still a TIGHT squeeze!

But now it's on, and looks great! I ran the USB cable inside it as well, and will wait until I go to lay the harness out before I secure it in place.

Installed the fittings on the power steering cooler.

Next, I drilled the holes for the nutserts required for mounting the battery tray to the driver's side fender.

These were an absolute PITA to install. I had to use a two foot extension on the setting tool!

Test fitting the lower bracket and drilling the dimpled holes in the core support and inner fender for mounting.

Why they sell the battery tray and battery try mount as two separate pieces is beyond me...seems like one of those parts that should come pre-assembled. Oh well, at least I can fix that! I marked the area for the holes to be drilled.

Transferred the holes to the tray, and cleaned the areas to bare metal.

Started plug welding on one side. The tray was slightly tweaked, so I had to transfer the clamp halfway through the job.

Finished, top side!

And on the bottom side.

Cleaned up the welds and shot it with a coat of paint, it actually looks factory!

Next up, I bench bled the clutch master cylinder and installed it, and bled out the whole system. Seems to work well, the pedal feels soft for a short bit of travel, but I think that is just taking up the air gap on the throwout bearing, as it does engage the pressure plate fully. The hood hinge hits the reservoir in the closed position though, so I'll have to modify that mounting bracket to provide clearance.

Also cleaned up the fuel tank guards and installed them. Some slight trimming on the "lip" on the sides, but other than that, they fit the aftermarket tanks very well.

I installed the Ebay Corvette adapter and installed the two oil pressure sending units.

And finally, installed and routed the positive battery cable. I'll be fine tuning the fitment once the new power steering pump and lines are installed, this old one has a sensor and different style of line taking up real estate behind the pump.

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote