View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 12:38 PM   #12
SeventyOne

Re: Parking light/side marker issue LED bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Sorry I just do not get it? I do know with an led in the front turn location on a 71-72 truck the sidemarkers will not light because the ground from the sidemarker goes through the bulb, just like your illustration. Do not understand how the diodes and resistor correct the path to ground for the sidemarker. Looks like it is still through the bulb.
The wire from the marker in the chevy is the ground from the marker, not a hot. Maybe the jeep configuration is different.

Edit: Not saying it does not work- I just want to understand why adding the resistor and diode makes it work. Load from marker circuit sees the resistor and reduces amperage through the led so it can ground? If I understand I can apply knowledge elsewhere. Kind of how I learn, even now at the age I am.
All good - take another look at the drawing I posted, specifically the top drawing. Note there's two power wires going to the stock bulb (DLR + Signal) - this is the OEM setup. Then notice the "cut here" instructions.

Then the bottom drawing has both the power wires merging (after the diodes/resistor) and going trough 1 of those cut wires to the bulb. The other wire coming off the bulb then becomes a ground wire - you need to ground it to the chassis.

So you need to cut your stock harness, alter how the power wires flow power and add a ground. Alternatively, because i don't want to cut my harness/wires, I will use 194 male/female bulb sockets to create a plug and play jumper wire like the image below.

Name:  20200613_113113.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  57.1 KB

Last edited by SeventyOne; 04-02-2024 at 05:22 PM.
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote