View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 08:49 AM   #22
dmjlambert

Re: New steeing column quality vs cost

KevsClassics is recommended by several board members, and anew4961 is recommended by Grumpy old man in this other thread https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=826030.

If you have a steering column shortened, I recommend have the person doing it shorten the outer jacket and shift tube and move the neutral safety and reverse light switch closer to the steering wheel, which Randy did for me. That way the transmission linkage position does not change under the hood. And have the center shaft shortened and re-splined. Randy did not shorten and re-spline my center shaft and instead used a spacer tube. He had considered shortening it and did the spacer instead. It works great, but I had to re-route my parking brake cable slightly and that part annoyed me. I would prefer everything under the hood be in the same position as before shortening. Non-tilt steering columns can be shortened more than tilt columns. The huge majority of people want tilt columns, I'm not sure why and I like my non-tilt column just fine. Mine was the first non-tilt column that Randy had worked on. Mine is now shorter by 2.5 inches and it is very nice having the steering wheel further away.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote