View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 12:18 AM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Re: 1959 gmc wiring harness. What do I do?

Having rewired several fifties Chevy's and a Ford, I can testify that looks pretty normal for a sixty year old vehicle. Your dash light sockets look stock for that era. They can be rebuilt. Yours look to be in good shape. (Not rusted around the area it clips on to the guage. You can clean up the outside and paint but leave the area inside the dash unpainted as it has to make electrical contact. Make sure the spring is good and the phenolic insulator isn't broken). They aren't to find used as so many people change their dash to something newer. You can buy replacement wire and contact assembly's or you can get the contacts separately and use your own wire. I believe last time I got the contacts was from American Auto Wire, but it has been quite awhile ago as I scored a box of them at a local swap meet. I have a 51 GMC that we drive lots and we used a repop wiring harness. It was so inexpensive that it wasn't worth the trouble for me to make a harness. It came set up for 12 volts with alternator and turn signals. Now this truck stock down to the 235 six and the radio delete plate. Not a lot of electrical needs. I did upgrade the wipers to electric as this is northwest Oregon and the guy who invented vacuum wipers must have been from death valley.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 10-30-2016 at 12:31 AM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote