View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
Steve Cole

ARRRRRRGH! More fault codes- Help!

So I have these annoying fault codes that keep popping up P0053 and P0059- (Heater resistance bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1)

It's a 2005 5.3 truck engine with a stand alone harness from BP-Automotive. He also deleted the rear oxygen sensors when he re-flashed my ECU. Two brand new AC Delco O2 sensors in the front positions. I just had the exhaust done and I have about 50 miles on the truck since the swap. I have actually had these fault codes before the exhaust was done, pretty much as soon as I got the motor running. I thought once the exhaust was installed these codes would go away but nope.

This has to be something simple for both sensors to be faulting, but I don't know what it could be.
I am pretty sure I can rule out faulty sensors, damaged connectors, blown fuses, fuel pressure, exhaust leaks, and it seems like I could hear a vacuum leak on the engine. I can't rule out wiring because I have already found a mistake with the harness. Not to get off topic but, two of the harness wires that go to the drivers side coil packs were switched (backwards) and the left side of the engine was not firing so I was only running on 4 cylinders. I de-pinned those wires and swapped them around so that's fixed now. Anyway, back to the problem, Does anyone have a suggestion what I can check? I need to get a wiring diagram so I can verify the harness wires aren't switch around like the coil wires were but after that, not sure what to look at next. The fact that both sides are faulting makes me think it is something simple.

Here is a description of the fault:

P0053 code definition
HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

What the P0053 code means
This code means the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Resistance is out of range on engine bank 1 (side of engine with cylinder #1) and the sensor upstream or in front of the catalytic converter.

What causes the P0053 code?
Faulty HO2 sensor
Damaged or disconnected electrical connector at the oxygen sensor
Faulty or shorted wiring in the oxygen sensor circuit
Blown fuse for the HO2S sensor
Low or excessive fuel pressure
Vacuum leak on the engine
Excessive exhaust leaks
Faulty ECU (Engine Control Unit), in rare cases
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote