View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 10:43 PM   #2455
LT7A

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Colossal Cargo: C-5M Super Galaxy vs An-124 Ruslan

C-5M Super Galaxy
Since its first flight on June 30, 1968, the C-5 has been one of the largest aircraft in the world. It’s the United State’s primary aircraft for moving large amounts of cargo to global theaters around the world. With an overall length of 247 feet 10 inches, the C-5 is 17 feet longer than the C-17. It’s powered by four General Electric engines that create 51,250 pounds per engine. Compare that to the C-17’s 4 engines that create 40,440 pounds of thrust each.

The C-5M Super Galaxy has a speed of 518 MPH and has a service ceiling of 41,000 ft. The behemoth aircraft has a minimal aircrew requirement of four but a typical crew consists of seven; a pilot, co-pilot, two flight engineers, and three loadmasters. Its load capability is hefty, carrying as many as 73 passengers while still transporting two Abrams tanks. Or it can carry those troops along with one Abrams tank and two Bradley fighting vehicles. Without refueling, the C-5 has a range capability of 5,524 miles while carrying 120,000 lbs of cargo.

An-124 Ruslan
If you are looking for another aircraft that is similar in size to the C-5 Galaxy then Russia’s Antonov An-124 Ruslan is your best bet. The Ruslan was introduced in 1986 and has an aircrew capacity of seven, the pilot, co-pilot, two flight engineers, a navigator, a communications officer, and a loadmaster. Its overall length is 226 feet and is 68 feet high. Powered by four large turbofan engines, the An-124 has a cruising speed of 497 miles per hour and a service ceiling of 38,000 feet. While carrying 80,000 lbs of cargo, it has a range of 13,694 miles. The Ruslan has a maximum takeoff weight of 800,000 lbs of cargo. Compare that to the C-5s 769,000 lbs maximum takeoff weight.

Interesting background, thanks. What do you think about starting a thread for interesting military experiences? I haven't served so I don't feel like it would be my place to start a thread like that but I would definitely be interested to read it. Also, the planes at Boeing field, while similar in appearance, I think they're much smaller than the C-5s or C-17s and only have two engines. They are Air Force and are similar dark gray.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote