View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #285
Rust Buster

Re: 72 K20 build thread, need good name

Ok guys, I have reached a crossroads and want to get some opinions. A lot has happened since I started this build. When I started, I was working out of a 20x20 garage in a home I was renting with limited space, tools, and of course time and funding. Well since then I have gotten married, separated from active duty (joined the reserves), bought a house in the country, and built a 30x40 shop.

When I started this build, the idea was to create a powerful daily driver truck that I would use all the time including towing. Well, I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy the utility, convenience, and safety of modern day trucks, especially for my towing needs. I like having airbags, anti-lock brakes, stouter frames, extended cabs and all the other bells and whistles that go with the newer trucks.

With that being said, what do I do with this build? I have tons of brand new parts for this thing, most of which were never installed. I have the drivetrain which hasn't even been started...If I complete the project as originally planned, I'd have a killer truck that I just wouldn't use as much as I should, and if I sold it, I'd never get anywhere close to my money back.

So here's my plan: I am going to take virtually everything I bought for the truck and put it in my 71 K5 Blazer which I am itching to do a complete nut/bolt restoration on. I think the fuel injected 383 and NV4500 will be a good transplant. The only thing that won't be applicable to the blazer is the new 14-bolt full floater. I have a Dana 60 I was going to put in the blazer. Do any of you think the 14 bolt would be better? It seems a bit overkill to me. The Blazer would be more fun for a family than a standard cab pickup.

So that's where my head is at but I want to here others' opinions. I would then rebuild the truck as well, just not as extravagant and sell it.

Talk me into or out of this please.
71 K10 LWB
52 Dodge Power Wagon
67 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon
48 Dodge WDX Power Wagon

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=239487
Rust Buster is offline   Reply With Quote